Saturday, December 17, 2011

"Poeti greci": in defense of ancient literatures


Journalist-blogger Ottavio Rossani has announced at poesia the publication of an anthology of ancient Greek writings titled Poeti greci. Da Omero al VI secolo d.C., a work of ancient poetries translated and edited by the esteemed Greek and Latin scholar Vincenzo Guarracino (August 2011). Rossani's post is more than just a notice for a book launch; it's an important defense of literary classicism, one intended primairly for high school students enrolled in the rigorous classical studies program (Un’opera necessaria, anche per finalità didattiche nei licei classici). The reference to high school studies got my attention.

The liceo classico is an academic course of studies, at the high school level, in which university-bound students between the ages of 14 to 19 learn the ancient Greek and Latin languages and their literatures. It's the contemporary Liceum. Rossani's review of Guarracino's text praises both editorial and marvelous translation work.To include both the major and less well known literary lights is not to invite the teacher and impressionable adolescent to give an approval rating of ancient authors, determining which authors, or types of poetries, failed and which succeeded, and why. With author selections coming from an authorized Antologia Palatina (Palatine Anthology) source, the curriculum objective is to give a balanced literary & historical overview shorn of uninformed critical judgement (English translations mine).
Tralasciamo qui di parlare di poeti consacrati dalla copiosità delle opere lasciate e dalla fama che ne è conseguita per l’altezza della scrittura e per la veridicità esistenziale delle loro intuizioni come Omero, Esiodo, Sofocle, Euripide, Eschilo, Pitagora, Platone e Aristotele (potrebbe essere una sorpresa constatare che anche questi ultimi tre padri della filosofia sono stati anche poeti, autori di epigrammi, inni e odi). Piace invece sollecitare l’attenzione su autori meno noti o addirittura ignoti, ai quali Guarracino da restituito il merito di avere scritto epigrammi di notevole incisività oppure liriche di grande emozione.
( Let's not just talk of poets famous for both literary output and literary excellence and cultural significance, such as Homer, Hesiod, Sophocles, Euripedes, Aeschylus, Pythagoras, Plato and Aristotle: it may even come as a surprise to some that the last three-mentioned "fathers of philosophy" were also poets, authors of epigrams, hymns and odes. I'd like to draw attention to the inclusion of authors who are less well known or who've been unjustly ignored. It's to Guarracino's credit that he's portrayed them as authors of epigrams of incisive & lyrical beauty) 
Guarracino's anthology encourages a literary studies that leads to literary appreciation: rigorous language study coupled to history and culture studies can do nothing but usher names like Sappho, Nosside, Archilochus, Anacreon and Pindar into the light of public discourse. Presumably the editor-translator has something like an Arnoldian ideal of cultural transmission in mind, a consolidation in young imaginations of the best from the past, but there's also the matter of literary influences. A young classicist in training may choose to specialize in her postsecondary years.

The classical canon can also be a living breathing influence on a twentieth century poetics ,as in the case of the pattern poems of Simias of Rhodes. Not a case of slavish imitation but, again, of preserving from the past what's best and innovative in the arts & sciences. Even the incisive epigrammatic style of a Karl Krause or Alberto Casiraghy (perhaps even Chesterton, Hitchens) can trace its form & impetus to ancient poets, scientists & thinkers. The principle of literary transmission (what works are worth examining and why) and influence (how they can inform a contemporary sensibility) is a clearly traceable one:
E Guarracino è andato a pescare soprattutto appunto nell’Antologia palatina un gruppo di epigrammisti di grande forza espressiva e di universali concetti che ancora oggi sono validissimi e potrebbero guidare la convivenza civile. Il che significa che in fondo chi scrive alla fine non inventa quasi più nulla, e spesso senza nemmeno saperlo non fa che riscrivere idee e concetti, massime che sono stati già elaborati dai predecessori
(Guarracino has found in the Palatine Anthology a core of epigrammatic writings of such great expressive and universal significance that they're available today as valid models in a contemporary civil society. The writer really invents nothing, and may not even recognize the influence of received ideas, perhaps even unaware that it's all already been said by his predecessors)
To appreciate classical authors is not just to determine how and why the great literary exemplars from the age of Homer onwards work but to see in them imitation models. This is the upshot of Rossani's review of Guarracino's anthology. The classical past is an inexhaustible and rich repository of qualities of love, wisdom, & a true literary sentimentality that never get 'old', even to the iPhone and Facebook generation. With understanding comes reverence for the classical past, and the desire to write (perhaps to be) like them. What wonderful ideals to instil in young minds. What a wonderful European educational model.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What uplifting news! I'll look for this one. And your end-note (chores, actually: C-major) regarding imitation is excellent. It's odd: I've taught "creative writing" off and on, here and there, for many years, but only recently have had students write imitations of particular poems, or particular poets, when imitation taught me so much early on. I think I succumbed to an unspoken agreement, according to which the purpose of a creative writing class is to liberate or cultivate the supposedly native genius in each student—an old Romantic notion. But that way is so often unproductive, for the student and (in the long run) for literature. You also make me realize, as you often do, how overmuch I rely on translations. We can't learn every language, of course, but maybe enough of the basics to begin hearing the original sounds, at least. I have a good friend who put her mind to ancient Greek a few years back, and hearing her recite the opening 20 or 30 lines of The Iliad gives me the (pleasurable) shivers. (Now she's on to Egyptian hieroglyphs—another story.) Anyway, thanks for this one, amigo.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Joseph,

the difference in secondary school systems, eh? The high school teacher in Italy is 'professore': the school building is a 'lyceum'. Young people, with talent for it, are grounded in solid classical models of learning and writing. Imagine the satisfaction of teaching under those conditions.

In North America the secondary teacher's treated abominably. How is the senior English teacher nearing his 30th year of full-time teaching duties in the classroom treated (i.e. me)? Abominably. Almost a day doesn't go by that I don't get some passive-aggressive comment from colleagues (never the kids!) about my age, retirement and pension: all of which serves to reinforce a prevailing notion of the aging teacher as an old fuck-up. Just taking up space.

That's why I wrote the post: living precariously through the esteemed 'professore'. Ah, it must be nice.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

oops!

I meant to say "living vicariously through the esteemed professore"

vazambam (Vassilis Zambaras) said...

Interesting and encouraging post, though the situation in Greek secondary schools vis-a-vis a classical education leaves a lot to be desired: Over the years the classical humanities curriculum has been whittled down to where classical studies are now taught about two hours a week--Latin only in a student's third year and only for those who want it--a number almost nil. And yes, the teachers here are called "professors" but that doesn't mean they are afforded the respect that title should bring with it. Having said all the above, I suppose this situation is still preferable to the one facing high school students in North America where classical studies are dead as the proverbial dodo.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Vassilis,

I'm sorry to hear the classics aren't promoted that highly in a country I have to consider the intellectual & cultural cradle of Western civilization. What a shame the young aren't learning classical Greek. When I toured Greece many years ago I couldn't believe I was there, retracing the paths of the Socratics, sharing the speaker's platform with Pericles, greeting the Minoan royalty at their ancient palaces.

In Canada, where education is highly subsidized (except for the expensive private schools & denominational schools), teaching qualifications, practice & accountability are pretty dismal. I know teachers who are practically 'functionally illiterate'. As a result the public (and who can blame them)paints us all with the same brush. Ours is a heavily bureaucratized and unionized profession.

Given the choice, the penury of the esteemed educator or the mainly disprized Western 'fat cat' of the classroom--well, I think you know where I'd rather be.

Ed Baker said...

I "taught" at the Junior College level
in 1973 !

I lasted 3 semesters... well,
almost three semesters had one course to 'teach'

you, or anybody lasting "it" out for
thirty years
Thirty Years Before the Mast

& without a cute Greek Girls to assuage things just
boggles my mind....

http://poetrywriting.org/Sketchbook_Ed_Baker.htm

am saving a read of this post for later.... maybe use it yes

USE IT

as warm up to get into my new book ( As I Re'all)

As I Recall?

Alan Baker said...

I couldn't agree more with your analysis Conrad. The older I get the more I realise that Latin and Greek underpins the whole of Western poetry. But I fear for the future of classics in our British universities, since all public funding was removed from The Humanities (as part of our 'austerity programme'). The Head of Classics at one of our top universities resigned recently over the issue: story here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/nov/27/edith-hall-quits-royal-holloway-classics-budget-cuts-vanessa-thorpe-daniel-boffey

Ed Baker said...

pee est

maybe it is time for you to watch this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031385/

maybe show it to your 'paying-attention' students?

Donat also in his Real World few-an-far between came

as I recall

to overcome a speech impediment he put stones in his mouth and
spoke into a gale...

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Alan,

I've been following that horrible situation in the UK for quite some time: I'd be in the streets protesting if I were there. Almost all of my professors in the 70s were from there. I learned much!

But it just proves one thing: education is not a function of theory, bureaucracy and funding anyways. It's only available to few who really want to learn.

Ed Baker said...

my original and brilliant comment that pre:seeded the
last one
didn't get up... I guess that I
was unable to figure out the blog-instruction/commands...

it was "all Greek to me"!

(heck. it. was. really. a terrific. comment. too!

and I spelled all of the words korrectly

after all
the poem in no more and not-thing else than the
words do?

3hirty years 'teaching' ? they'll replace you with 3
part time young "know-it-alls"

lower pay, no benefits and a new Big Mac computer !

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks for the link, Ed.

Will check it out.

Ed Baker said...

I just scrolled down to where the comment on the Mr. Chips movie was

this is/was a Brit school...

the comments?

mostly out of the mouths of Morons!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

thanks for the moral support.

"3hirty years 'teaching' ? they'll replace you with 3
part time young "know-it-alls"

lower pay, no benefits and a new Big Mac computer !"

As bad as it is here at least the money's good and pension decent. We've got an image problem nurtured by an increasingly anti-teacher public. I'd hate to be teaching in the States, though: low pay, no job security, appalling working conditions, etc

And our brash new teachers/administers sport the latest iPads anyways. Haven't seen a Mac on anyone's desk lately

Ed Baker said...

here is a bit of a clip/a trailer re:

Mr. Chips... if you can get past the other crappo...

http://www.movies.com/movie-trailers/goodbye-mr-chips/1882304119

classical boys school/education in late 19 th century Hingland...