Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Poetry for the Chilean miners rescued at last


As the Chilean miners emerge out of their living death deep in the earth, I think of the following lines by the great Pablo Neruda (from Verses Against the Darkness). Which I dedicate to them.

"No quiero para mí tantas desgracias.
No quiero continuar de raíz y de tumba,
de subterráneo solo, de bodega con muertos
ateridos, muriéndome de pena." (Pablo Neruda)

I never asked for so much misfortune.
I don't want to live like a root, tomb anymore,
alone underground, in a place of death,
stiff with cold, dying of grief.

4 comments:

Ed Baker said...

here is live "right now" stream 29 30 31 32 and 33 to go...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11489439

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Ed

I've been watching it pretty steadily today...

almost mythical, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

just goes to show you what can bee done
and how it should be...

just cut-through all of the bull-shit bureaucracy
and do
efficiently and precisely just what is necessary!

just like we tackle/solve

maybe it is a good thing that so many Hispanics are moving this way we might learn how to again function .... as Family! things here in The States!


-Kokkie

Anonymous said...

what event happened that caused them to be trapped down there?

several of the 33 as one said " we wanted to just walk out" why didn't they?

so far 3 book deals and 3-4 movie deals

the 33 have united: "we will only talk to those who pay us"

there is something phony about all of this.