Monday, September 9, 2013

Squirrels (1): "If I could write a perfect line" (for Maria)




I'd be in a blaze somewhere or just alone (reading,
                                              too sore to stand, or

 probably too clouded   to see the squirrel that's
   not once, not twice gone for a falling twig,
                                                             already)

4 comments:

Andreas Gripp said...

love this one, Conrad. thanks for sharing it.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

As Maria told me of this remarkable squirrel's equally remarkable determination to build a nest of twigs that a cruel wind kept knocking down, well I thought of the near impossibility of writing a poetry that just as doggedly kept picking up its own discarded line.

I thought the perfection of the act lay (somehow, magically) in that repetition...

Curtis Faville said...

Who could not like squirrels?

Maybe they over-reproduce, and become pests.

But they're too cute.

Besides, they're vegetarians.

They get caught and killed and eaten by snakes and hawks and felines.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

And they've inspired this fledgling old poet on more than one occasion, too.

Who could not like squirrels?

Well, people who plant gardens and grow flowers. They mess things up pretty nicely at times.