Monday, December 24, 2012

Tricennalia: or my 30th in the class





I thank my thirtieth star I kicked at the
 monkey or fatty Montag youth--
the  hand over hand & delicate chin,
and chippy school play s/he's always in:

the years of which the first began with
and continued down to the second
and a sort of a third of a Life dissolved

in plays and thunderbolts! noxious stairs
with the tykes battering down glass--
they who full flower go into my classroom
believing my lone Self so help me or out!

More than clown but less than Toparch:
I dared each one, up and down, here,
I'd say, I-I did til the next error came
and I'd expel, say, boys from the girls--

At these times I also boasted a myriad
smiles til a release, from sameness, just at
my thirtieth: I the Pius and coach, who
wiped filth off their noxious stairs

6 comments:

Ed Baker said...

Con-grads to ugh ! Thirty years ? I got socks older than that..
and goodbye Mr Chips :

http://www.ovguide.com/goodbye,-mr.-chips-9202a8c04000641f800000000046178b

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Ed

in fact, that's where the 'End' image comes from. Needless to say, the images that'll be floating thru my head of the kids on my deathbed won't be so comforting to me.

Anonymous said...

This is extraordinary, Conrad. By turns sharp and blurred, specific and elusive. Reminds of Bob Dylan, believe it or not. Lines like

"a sort of a third of a Life dissolved

in plays and thunderbolts!"

and

"they who full flower go into my classroom"

Of course, Dylan stole these tones from Blake. Nevertheless...

Bittersweet, with a restrained ferocity. The spirit lavished on those who don't know what they're getting: "I know what I have given you; I do not know what you have received." That painful gap.

Lovely!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

I thank you, Joseph,

"Bittersweet, with a restrained ferocity". Right on the money...

A happy winter holidays to you and yours, my friend.

Irina M. said...

Congratulations Conrad!

It is a wonderful achievement.

I'm convinced that many of your students have gained an appreciation of literature and perhaps poetry as they attended your classes.










Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Irina

it's sometimes the case, especially as I near their grandparents' age, that I need them as much (hopefully) as they've needed me

The young must lead us into their very brave new world.