Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A vindication of the rights of Lorine Niedecker ('bout bloody time!)


"I used to feel I was goofing off unless I held only to the hard, clear image, the thing you could put your hand on but now I dare do this reflection" ( Lorine Niedecker, Correspondence)


Say, Zuks! the upper limit of what--
  pine's third limb down
  (banking right & lithe)
or wing's phish?

Every vowel bit (with the nerve to
  to do it!) won't empty
  into You. That's that

Again, if she only saw better, you'd
  see oval-eyed & fair
  were not for thee


And "better shine"  than this, plumper
  she'd made already since
  it's all heart & all likeable
and you're

not. And a fracturing you'll always go,
  without wing. But, Zuks
  ever find why she's pine
to your "swamp"?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pine to Zuk's swamp indeed! One feels inclined to call her "Lorine" as we do "Emily." But who would care to call Zuks "Louis"? Even the few passages that are readable aren't humane. A fine tribute here, Conrad!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Joseph

I've been looking at some of the correspondences (Penberthy) with poetry and I can't for the life of me reconcile the beautiful elegant (almost 'surrealistic' at times)voice of a uniquely distinctive 'time' and 'place' to the cold hard thing to which Williams, Zuks, et al tried to reduce the poetic cosmos.

Been reading Zuk's 'prepositions' and all that objectivist edition of Poetry stuff, et al and, though interesting in itself, can't (without being seen as rapacious) be forced on anyone, as it certainly was on Niedecker. The man was, following Pound, notoriously misogynistic. (Is it true Pound didn't allow the wives of poets to enter his home?)

Nuff said. It makes me a little pissed off to think, again, of another case of misplaced accolades.

Ed Baker said...

well

in that group

I am partial to

Oppen, Carl Rakosi & Reznikoff (who my mother knew via the HOA

"OH, yes. The Reznikoff's were handsome boys. Good dressers. They were in clothing. And THAT Charles... was a good dancer."

try on for size Mary Oppen's By The Waters of Manhattan

et ceteras

Ed Baker said...

OPPPS (again
I was in an hurry-up mode...

re-hanging most of my art
on newly painted walls....
giving things more

"space" to breathe...

that Mary Oppen book is MEANING A LIFE

the By the Waters of Manhattan is Charles Reznikoff's...

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

wasn't it Oppen's wife Pound didn't allow to enter his home?

Ed Baker said...

when Pound was here in D.C.

my first "teacher" Rudd Fleming's
wife, Polly

first befriended EP and brought Rudd over to
St. E's

as for your question ....

I just mostly read the poems


&
consider

everything

else

grist for
those who
write
term-papers

besides

any too hairy
comments/use of poems
re: Zukofsky

's gonna bring down heavy blows
from Paul !
as for that Oppen question
you might find something of it in either
Hatlen's GEORGE OPPEN Man and Poet
or in

Rachel Blau DuPlessis''' The Selected Letters of GO

(or, you just might ask Rachel ?)


mean-while

I am re-visiting another NYC Oldie Goldie Sam Menashe

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

I could build a course of studies from your posts alone.

Ed Baker said...

thanks
Conrad

one day
you'l visit

when you have
Less Time

&
per-use my
(saved)
55,322 emails.

be -sides the countless
'off-the-wall"

blog comments that
I've never saved / kept track of

there just might be
some two or six
seeds in the compost

that just might

in my old age/rage
germinate ?

vazambam (Vassilis Zambaras) said...

Super, Conrad!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

that visit is just a question of time. Trust me

Vassilis,

thank you. Perhaps after your recent post on Niedecker something twigged...

Ed Baker said...

Larry Eigner
once said to a friend of mine:

"my greatest desire is to be able to wipe my own ass."

bottom line ? Larry Eigner had a sense of humor ...

far beyond his/the situation.