Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A translation of two poems by Pierre Reverdy (from "The Roof of Slates")



SECRET

     La cloche vide
     Les oiseaux morts
Dans la maison où tout s'endort
     Neuf heures

La terre se tient immobile
        On dirait que quelqu'un soupire
Les arbres ont l'air de sourire
     L'eau tremble au bout de chaque feuille
        Un nuage traverse la nuit

Devant la porte un home chante

        La fenêtre s'ouvre sans bruit
-------

SECRET

     Hollow bell
     Dead birds
In a house where everything's asleep
     Nine o'clock

The earth holds still
        One says that someone's sighing
Trees appear to be smiling
     Water flickers at every leaf-tip
        A cloud drifts into night

Outside our door a man is singing

        A silent window opens
       


NOMADE

     La  porte qui ne s'ouvre pas
La main qui passe
                       Au loin un verre qui se casse
     La lampe fume
Les étincelles qui s'allument
              Le ciel est plus noir
                       Sur les toits

Quelques animaux
Sans leur ombre

                                              Un regard
                                   Un tache sombre
La maison où l'on n'entre pas
-----

NOMAD

     A door that never opens
A hand passing by
                 A far away shattering of glass
     A smoky lamp
Sparks lighting up
          The sky grows dark
                 Over the rooftops

Some animals stand about
Shadeless

                                                A glance
                                        A somber spot
An unapproachable house                                  

9 comments:

Irina said...

I very much enjoyed how you resolved

"L'eau tremble au bout de chaque feuille" - translated as:

Water flickers at every leaf-tip ....

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Irina

I picked the easier Reverdy pieces: his prose poems are a little more challenging.

Maybe next time I'm in a translating mood.

Ed Baker said...

that line also "got" my me. and I want to "play" with your/his lines:

"The earth holds still
One says that someone's sighing
Trees appear to be smiling
Water flickers at every leaf-tip
A cloud drifts into night"

but,

by the time that I got through

you'd have:


The earth holds clouds
drift
at the end of each leaf
droplets reflect

or some such "make it my own" attitude.

good "stuff"... yours

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

you've got the surrealistic sense of the original: I translated too literally, too afraid to make those more interesting associations between clouds and droplets that reflect them

A poem within a poem! Reverdy would have loved it.

Ed Baker said...

yeah... just remember what Ezra Pound said

you can "pick" that up over there on Tom Clark's blog!

you might also pick up on Jerry Rothenberg' nod (today) towards John..

however

what ever you do pass on that very crowded avant symposium thing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beblank/sets/72157624710391230/show/with/4885176291/


I just wrote down that little bit that I "filched" from your

Reverdy translation...

when I get if I do my new Muse

will "stick her in" somehow
and

'go for the gold' en Bough!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

"when I get if I do my new Muse

will "stick her in" somehow
and

'go for the gold' en Bough!"—

another gem!

Ed Baker said...

Conrad..

I just make this shit up
as
I go along
my merry way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rgmtbOXHo

DIG IT!

this is the sound/music/rhythm & blues DO WOP/poetry/attitude that I grew up in... am yet lost in

TC said...

Conrad, I think you've done a swell job or capturing that eerie flatness, that spooky sense of emptiness and yet of immanence, of things poised at the brink of some mysterious transformation, in Reverdy's image spaces.

I've tried my hand at several of these, including:

Reverdy: Each His Share

Reverdy: Slates

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Tom,

your description of a Reverdy line,"of things poised at the brink of some mysterious transformation" is perfect! Thank you for your encouraging comments on my efforts.

I will try some of the more challenging 'prose poems' later, and hopefully I will get some expert critique from you.