Saturday, March 6, 2010

Natural medicine

 




He came at my request, at last. And in reply to my, "What is it?"
said grimly, taking a close look at me—

"Look, it's as if someone's stippled a sunset here, & mixed in ravens;
stars don't shine but snarl and snake

The bass that bite lie dead with their pink gills open, washed ashore,
and say, 'Take the spinners from my heart'

Jays crowd round the jagged moon, or else go careering off by themselves:
I see their crests through skeletal clouds

And in the tree's gnarly sac the heartless soulless eyes of a crab appear,
or heartless lily bees

The sun that tenderly and shyly eggs on shoots, somewhere somehow
leaves a pale blackberry soil

And where there used to be the ash-tree's calm is an oak's monstrous face,
spongy & scaly, not a drop of resin left"

Sweeping his hand over my back, a final time, he finally said grimly,
in reply to my "What can it be?"

"The soulless crab that moves low in the night, over gravel roads, stiff-legged
will burrow soon & lie with the heart

9 comments:

William Michaelian said...

Excellent!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thank you, William.

A fanciful piece inspired by a visit to the dermatologist.

Ed Baker said...

neat... every line has multiplicities AND possibilities... 'CEPT

you talk/say/intrude too much... (for my taste..

I can tell a "good" poem (since you ask how I do this) by wheter or knot I want to "steal" from it and make'em parts of
something otherwise.

GAWD I hate them visits to the dermatologist... I knew one onc-t
but
she ran off with a guy named Pimple!

hang in...

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Thanks, Ed!

I do get long-winded in some of my poetry: it's just me. It's really hard for me to talk the scalpel to my stuff. You'd think I'd know better after my brief stint in Eastern writing.

Ed Baker said...

well

you're not "doing" Eastern writing...

you're on the verge of "stepping" out..

print the piece out so's you can "work it" on a real piece of paper..

It's not about you it s about the process and the playing with the words...

you neglect the spaces

and

as every Poet knows (or should...know (noh)

the spaces ARE just as important as the words...

anyway if I wasn't so damn stuck with this trying to do a

The Collected Blog Comments of Eddie Baker

I would

do you compose your poems on the computer?

don't you yet real:eyes
that
your computer is CONNECTED and CONTROLLED by The Power Company!

heck, They still execute people in The Electric Chair etc.

habits the good ones and the bad ones
ain't so easy to drop..

might as well "paint by the numbers" and be just like Mike-ie!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

I hear ya...

I marvel at how you, Eigner and Martone, et al do it so consistently. I don't have the patience: too time-conscious. It's perhaps, as you say, the craftsmanship we've lost with the online writing.

William Michaelian said...

Well, my “Excellent!” still stands. I’m quite content, really, with there being Ed Baker poems and Conrad DiDiodato poems. The world’s a better place for both of them.

Ed Baker said...

hey say
thanx,
Bill


y'all know where
i can get a pair of
red sus-
pendhers

not the skinny
one
the wide one

gonna (try to) change my
image

just in case

goin' w the

Roebuck jeans w
rolled-up cuffs

the plaid ALL cotton heavy shirt


argyles and

buster-brown loafers

a straw cowboys' hat
a corn-cop pipe to suck
on

look..

y'all can hardly get asingle
dambed Corn Pone thing here abouts Washington, D.C
anymore....

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

this poem has give emotions! thank you