What is seen in the distance when the murmurings of some defeated ideas, or lives, or even dreams are suddenly manifest?
A ghost. (Jack Spicer, from A Fake Novel About the Life
of Arthur Rimbaud)
Even if I can number among the defeated not just the idea,Your life does not count
but gary's receding grave (of christmas past),
filled with glass, and squat to the head til I lilt into Main Street:
soft step here & veiny softness there, gosling's
quiet step to lakes and back and to my Secret Sam in acrylic
mitts? Smiling through the lens
Like soft shoe over bridges, through alleys and to a lake and backEverything is fixed to a point
Waterless fountain at the park: or
the exact grainy spot he stood on & I consigned to dear space,
gary's most of all,
ecstatic I'd consigned anything as delicate as that & his mostly
because of a gosling step
Give up
Wish I could (for his dear sake): dead don't hang light on me
like they used to! Scarborough Fair,
in particular, can't make a 60s sage garden die more, not even
in song, space between us
a matter of a gray evening & stolen child-plant (or whatnot),
tamped down at dusk
But, again, I thought at that very spot stepped a gosling-boy, purityThe very words I write
Do not purify
& without math knew something'd last
and that space really could love him, too. Who wouldn't leave
him receding like that. A matter of a stolen lily
And the lake he would not so much as dream of soiling
(were it a popsicle stick!) could love him, too
Yes, after the actLove makes the discovery wisdom abandons
I gave you my imaginary hand and you give me your imaginary
hand and we walk together (in imagination) over the earthly
ground

2 comments:
I am enjoying reading the poems you are posting here. Are you mingling your own words with those of Jack Spicer. I do not know his work well enough to say so. However I am liking these ... have a grand day then.
Anonymous,
yes I am mingling his words with mine, as if we'd been writing a poem together. But, of course, I'm trying as desparately as possible to stay in that wonderful Spicer 'zone' in order to come to terms with my own personal notions of grief.
Spicer is a poet I may encounter every 20 years or so. I met him through my reading of Blaser: thank god!
Post a Comment