Friday, November 13, 2009

Transcendental poetics: a primer for Internet reading & writing

We are no longer a part of the drama of alienation; we live in the ecstasy of communication. And this ecstasy is obscene. (Jean Baudrillard, "The Ecstasy of Communication")
There is always an Other; and this Other willy-nilly turns interpretation into a social activity, albeit with unforeseen consequences, audiences, constituencies and so on. And, I would add, interpretation is the work of intellectuals, a class badly in need of moral rehabilitation and social redefinition. (Edward W. Said, "Opponents, Audiences, Constituencies and Community")
It is my belief that it is somewhere in this messy denial of the thought of poetry that an explanation can be found for the importance of community. That poets do band together...The reason is that only in such communities is the necessary talk of this high, serious realm possible. Such communities tend to build a structure for men (sic) who wish to keep, hold, and record the passionate relation with the outside that the world, the nation, need. This the only place where such talk goes on. (Robin Blaser, "The Fire")

The call to virtual ethics! It's a requirement for responsible e-communication made necessary these days by the Internet's gross heterogeneity & bewildering array of blog-types—a potentially (if not actually) morally messy place where writing behaviours, according to "Social Media Behaviour in a Venn Diagram" (in blogtactic) can range from ADHD to narcissism to stalking—Perhaps envisaging a vital e-"community" (as in Robin Blaser's sense of the term in epigraph) is a necessary first step. Alas, the hope. What Baudrillard has remarkably called an "obscenity" is perhaps the inverse of that ethical call, or a kind of e-writing hostile to community of any sort. That is, the asocial (at times even apolitical) beast we find it today to be. "It is the obscenity, " as he says in his essay 'The Ecstasy of Communication', "of what no longer has any secret, of what dissolves completely in information and communication."

I'd like an ethics of e-writing to try revealing (at least to me) the secret of a wholeness that can't be too easily tampered with.What's at stake is the notion of text itself, about to be reconfigured into E-page technology with the potential to rewrite 'writing' itself. I'd like a return to opaqueness and mystery before the page turns into "display modules" (& real space runs out): a text viable enough to spur bloggers on to a sense of the importance of saying the unified instead of the always more fashionable ruptured text sans syntax, sans author, sans memory. Can e-writers, in short, give themselves the job of eliminating as many of the barriers as possible to this 'new' form? And what would be the mode of attack anyways?More on that later.

I've suggested, after Levinas, that a sense of writerly proprietorship would be necessary. He's provided the term 'transcendental' but it's the impetus and not the substance of the term I need: the obligatoriness, not the uncomfortable strictures to act in a way writers would probably find uncomfortable. Levinas and the pope aren't good friends for nothing. I'm thinking more of the "silent, radical, one-sided and impossible" ideal of ethical behaviour that the Danish philosopher Knud Ejler Løgstrup proposes in The Ethical Demand . Internet ethics must comprise of a spontaneous, uncompromised sense of restoring the integrity of site and the writer/writing that inhabit it: restoring (especially where one doesn't exist) a community of interested, genuinely good stewards of their Internet garden (in the way Jonathan Zittrain suggests here).




We've stacked gnawing imperatives somewhere back in the human genome (not conscience or heart), adaptive (or even assimilable) to writing emergencies such as the Internet creates from time to time (again, see the Zittrain video).They'd send through the system just the right shock-waves &  admonitions to step responsibly onto new ground.The move into somebody's domain has to be principled but not overbearing. To an increasingly contracted (and radically varied) space of Internet communication we must direct all our resources.All the unwieldy theorizing we'd normally associate with rigid (deontological) ethical discourse would just get in the way. Without checks the ethical could be a hindrance to the technical.


It's not concrete moral dilemma we have to do with here anyways:  a creative indeterminacy has run rampant and it's time for a 'close writing' guided by new transcendental imperatives. Away from critical distractions, writing & the writer begin to reinvigorate all those intention-and-practice correspondences that have been discarded. Not with the idea of restoring them; a point of non-return has been reached. It seems almost as utopian as some of the modernist literary projects (like Joyce's Finnegans Wake, Pound's Cantos, etc), and still, just because of the need for accountability the new e-literacy requires, the Internet writer (blogger) discerns in the attempt something of a radical stil nuovo pulsion.

The blog, with its monomaniacal eye always turned out, is bound to be resistant to radical 'accounting'. I suppose it's the problem with Absolutes of any kind, now a technological one, that Blaser says "is careless of relations in the world and tends to become a dreadful, fun-house, mirrored image of Humanity." ("The Recovery of the Public World" in The Fire: Collected Essays ).How can it be otherwise with an Other that is of the author's own mirrored intention and design? Not mimetic but mirrored Humanity. Hardly a new experimentalism and yet nothing could be more extreme. E-text works with astonishing complexity and processes, layered into creative instincts, have to be content with the deadening white planar surfaces they get. 

The blog, if we subject it to analysis, is certainly not an unbiased copy of the world (not the silly reportage made famous, say, by The Huffington Post blog, etc. ) but a rigorous technics adapted to word, visual and sound processing projects: it is the daily register of its own form and contents, and just as interestingly critical (& suspicious ) of  the world of things as avant-garde Art itself. As witness the "obscene" amount of differing data evident online. Even Finnegans Wake wouldn't look too out of place on the Internet.

How to read the blog, if coaxing it out of its headspace is potentially perilous, and then write it? The underlying principle of a transcendental ethics in writing is that care be taken never to overstep/ override the text to which inquiries are directed in a reading (and direct they must be if a writing is to begin). 'Taking care' is, of course, a Levinasian gesture. Which can be demonstrated primarily in a basic application of what I'll call an attributive protocol. To the text, always single & knowable in itself, can be attributed an 'ethics' never independent from a set of potentially verifiable imperatives, ways of calling the author out, and which the reader must at least intuit before he writes.The reader's never a "conquering and voluntary ego" (Levinas, Otherwise Than Being), the sly Derridean nor the lackadaisical flâneur who casually strolls into another's writing ; s/he rather works with a view of reflecting the authorial acknowledgements already made to the text. Its congenial accessibility to an author and a work the reader first must face (again, Levinas): imperatives to be both responsible readers & writers.

Among the most important imperatives to be called out are the following. Firstly, forms and their combinations into genre or even more loosely structured types (like scripture, Gilgamesh, fin de siècle, curriculum theory etc), conjectural or established; secondly,analogy, contrasts, implicative theses-making, processual analyses or any other expository tags for the traditional ends of writing; thirdly, and more controversially, the expressionist or ideational pulls to originary sources, such as Celtic, Marxist or nouveau roman, always present in a work whether acknowledged or not; fourthly, cultural strategies with indices for the recovery (not discovery) of essentially transmissible parts (and their relations, antinomies and concordances); and lastly, and perhaps the ground of all of them, a set of parallel or incongruent reading histories of an author, seen as either a deliberate superimposition or lurking quietly round the edges.

All these serve as a way to scope out, canvas and then prepare a text for that transition from headspace to something that's writable, at last. To something like a 'close writing'. A title, sometimes more properly attuned to the site than even the textual body, may be the first to suggest rules and set a sort of 'lexical positioning' network in motion. Or, at least, intuit a way for an unerring eye to see what's lying just ahead. Take the example of Geof Huth's site dbqp: visualizing poetics, or the mirrored letters of a title that look as if they're about to actualize into text. To see (and visualize, perhaps in the sense of imagining) the possible reconfigurations of material language: already an intention and design, as close to us as the site's own transcendental ("dbqp") Logo. And we haven't even begun to read the blog text yet.

And when we do, randomly but never intentionally beginning with the latest post (Tuesday, November 10, 2009: "The're is No The're The're (or maybe the're is)") we find a loosely re-structured type of a found (or commemorative) poem (imperative 1) with textual commentary, a birthday poem Huth actually began a year ago so that two poems 'virtually' appear in the November 10th post, the first entitled "Bearth: Day”, and second "Water of Life", both appearing together and giving interesting contrastive sides (imperative 2) to a single co-celebratory/co-textualized event.

 In both poems a singleTed Berrigan line is repeated, "Today, I am 49 years, 5 months and 16 days old", both appearing at its end. And because of its 20-line verse limit Huth calls it "vigesimon (vigesima, the plural form), after the fact of its twenty lines."  Really a kind of postmodern variation-on-a-theme technique (that's also weakly serialist in design) The explanation for the number 20 shows Huth as an author who's consciously tied to both expressionist and Mayan (and, as he later admits, Shakespearean) cultural sympathies of his own (imperatives 3 & 4, respectively). In Huth's own words,

Twenty has been an important number to me, for two reasons: 1. It represents the Mayan “full man,” the full count of digits (fingers and toes) of a man, thus the complete man, and more importantly so since the Mayans appear to have had a base-20 numbering system; 2. My twentieth year was the most reckless and difficult of my life, and turning 20 seemed like a irrevocable transformation into the adult I never wanted to be, making my twentieth birthday almost a harrowing experience, and who else has had that ridiculous reaction to twenty? Birthdays neither bother nor please me now, and I expect no untoward reactions to turning fifty next year.
An envisaged work ("project"), with errantly misplaced indices & subsections within of various lengths, is to arise from interestingly incongruous readings by Huth himself of a single point of 'origin' . A face-to-face meeting of poem and literary project (imperative 5). His own remarks on the fractured (irregularities) of the work's projected  The’re title marks an originary return to the transcendental origin of his "dbqp" site: the true Logo(s) of any "visualizing poetics".

17 comments:

Ed Baker said...

nice essay and I make many many "connects", Conrad.

I was thinking "John Cage"

(as someone recently mentioned discovering (and inhaling)
A YEAR FROM MONDAY

so I 'popped off' check out and into Silence and M

and than the processes in his coposing his music especially the sheets being randommly overlaid..

any-way John Cagwe come to the page (NOTATIONS another neat collection)

John Cage "comes to writing/saying/noting VIA his musical roots


and

Geo IS a terrific entity where he comes to the page VIA his dictionaries...


so, and ethics/ethos m.u.s.t be firmly rooted

in the boddhi of each piece the preceding eons' of persons/productions acknowledged..


or are we yet "dealing with" the Three Musketeers: Ethos, Pathos and Logos

ahhh, to shake off Aritstole's (....)

and stand on our own indviduation and wobbly proceed!



you are maybe asking too much of The Herd Who Blog


leave it with those few who "take chances"

I think that I will cruise on over and pester Gee Ache... he's getting old... and so are his socks.


nice essay. I fer one appreciate your ability to tie up and hold various and sundried (sic)things together.... so-to-speak.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Ed,

you're right:

"and ethics/ethos m.u.s.t be firmly rooted

in the boddhi of each piece the preceding eons' of persons/productions acknowledged.."

I want to restore the lost deconstructed "boddhi" of the piece, even if it means going 'transcendental' (but without the 'religion')I've always admired Levinas whom I first read years ago & he's never left me.

Cage is interesting, too because though he's composed by I Ching or astrological configurations or whatnot, there was always respect for the 'work', the music or poem. And I don't think we even have that anymore.

And amidst the many bloggers out there few are worth mentioning, like Geof, who's really dedicated to his craft and has been taking great pains to promote his "visualizing poetics", and I have you to thank for introducing me to his site.

Ed Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That Baudrillard quote is wonderful. Obscenity is wonder/full—it radicalizes (radical as root) what we conceive of as decent.

I read half of this and then went on a several mile walk with my dogs. I then read the second half while my face felt like it was imploding as it recovered and adjusted from the near freezing temperatures to the warmth of my room.

My thoughts are somewhat vague because of this. Yet, as I wrote the above sentence, I think that it contrasts with the experience of reading your essay. I dislike terms like ‘transcendental’ and ‘ethical.’ We start removing our considerations from how they inflect on the flesh and they become the same damn abstractions and logical constructs the big-wig Anglo-American thinkers posited to reify their pro-protestant-white-imperialist-and-so-on sentiments.

“Ethics, if it is anything, is supernatural and our words will only express facts.” –Wittgenstien in his “Lecture on Ethics.” See also what he says about ethics and aesthetics being one at the end of the Tractatus.

I do need to read Levinas. His idea of “Care” is right out of Heidegger. Yet, H. is very removed from anything prophetic (forward directed). Heidegger is the destroyer—now build.

That said—the point I made in my post about the reductive nature of the internet worries me. What confrontation with the other is there on the internet? There is nothing visceral nothing sumptuous or painful about the internet. Nothing sado-masochistic about the relationship in the holistic sense (avoiding the S&M that objectifies). The other dusts on the shoulders and can be dusted off—there is no tattooing into the flesh. My blogosphere interactions do not hold the existential weight that many other confrontations with the other do. We bloggers are never like a protagonist in a Mellville novel who is faced (quite phenomenally) with a cannibal (a radically different system of cares).

“I'm a hustler homey, you a customer crony
Got some, dirt on my shoulder, could you brush it off for me?” –Jay-Z

Yet, I sure as hell don’t have the license granted by the socio-economic oppression of the Reagan era on the urban ghettos to justify such a mentality (Jay-Z does, to whatever degree).

For me to simply brush off what is presented to me would be careless. I know that you’re positing working in the internet within structures of care (or something to that end), but if the substructure is trite and reductive, then when does anything stick?

Break apart the Victorian stuff that bundles up the flesh and powders it white…and get to the bodily juices.

My face is still numb slightly numb. Hopefully the above is slightly readable.

Best,
Aaron

WV: con(/)sh

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Aaron,

you've covered a lot of ground (and in a wonderfully transverse 'deleuzian' fashion that I appreciate). I think by "tattooing into the flesh" you must have in mind a Mark Boyle "Journey to the Surface of the Earth" type of Art (or any artistic presentation) that you seem to suggest the Internet, by being too reductive, cannot achieve.

If you do, I hear you. Unfortunately I cannot separate Boyle or Cage from well-intentioned but ultimately misguided senses of "artistic effect": try as they might people like that always look a bit too self-aware for my liking. It's not in that academic sense of "self-aware" that I describe the blog as a site ripe for 'care' and 'responsibility'.There's a lot more at stake 'there' than that.

I think maybe (as was certainly not my intention) I've somehow conflated ethics with supernatural instead of factual intention. It's hard to shake off that phony prophetic "dust" of any sense of moral obligatoriness to the 'other' (the Face in Levinasian parlance) that an argument like mine must do.I've suggested that the moral imperative been seen as a genomic instinct, triggered by real world conditions, and that adaptation to changing technological times will preserve the sort of 'global' interconnectedness the Internet's designed to make possible. Even the radical heterogeneity of binary codes ultimately subserves a model of interconnectedness (free from need to promote agendas, make money, etc as the video speaker says)

I just heard on the radio that someone's just published a book on Google as the new literacy. Does that sound familiar? I'd love to look at that.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Wittgenstein is saying that ethics and aesthetics are one, in that they are both ‘bullshit.’ When he says ethics are supernatural there is an irony involved. It is to say that the whole system needs to be radically re-envisioned and the word “ethics” needs to be thrown out. There is something supernatural (in the mystic sense, not in the idealized monotheistic sense) about the ‘other’ as an affect. The lived body doesn’t come into words easy, it isn’t like the corporeal body.

The care (existential structures of the lived body) isn’t explicitly factual. It tends to avoid the explicit. The subject being always already pressing into possibilities out of a facticity (unless this is what you mean by factual but it is decidedly more of an uncorporeal unfolding—that is not to say there is no body but to say that it isn’t an objectified factual body… it is a flesh-y fluidity or some such going).

I don’t think we can remove the care structures of the internet from the care structures of peoples off the internet. The things people would stake the whole of their cares on (that sort over arching existential theme, that being-toward-death as a described phenomena) is usually NOT on the internet. I worry when it is. I worry when kids commit suicide because they have been bullied on facebook and so on—what confrontation with ‘the other’ was there?

I’m not against this idea of interconnectedness, just, as the mode of praxis is considered the internet should not be removed the stiffness of my fingers and the tiredness in my eyes and the itching in my ass and the indigestion I have from eating chemically reconfigured corn products.

This is reminding me of this book I read by Hubert Dreyfus years ago. If I had it on hand I’d probably quote from him. His interpretations always seemed kind of trite on some level, but he really had some good things to say about the structures of technology. I don’t like that he seemed to favor avoiding the mess—I don’t vote for that, I just think that the lived phenomenological body should not be removed from the discussion as we start abstracting off into “factual interconnectedness.”

ALSO:
I like this google literacy thing—it levels literature. Crushes the division between high and low. Anybody with a photo editing program can become an inflection of Duchamp with his Mona Lisa.

Like,
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&sa=1&q=american+gothic&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&start=0

~Aaron

WV:flows

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Aaron,

for my views on redefining 'Transcendental' and 'ethics' (ethos), see Robin Blaser's reading of Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben in essay "The Irreparable" in "The Fire: Collected Essays of Robin Blaser". It's Agamben's intention to make "Transcendental" "urgent for contemporary thought" and mine to apply a Levisanian sense of it to Internet writing.

Anonymous said...

Ludwig grew up in (an far beyond became) Vienna

lots of "important" folks frequented his parents home and Vienna-nese

places:

Freud, Schoenberg, Loos, Herzl, Hitler,

frequent visitors to his mome were:

Brahms, Mahler, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoshka, (a young) Pablo Casals, etc...

three of his 4 brothers commited suicide...

he studied under Bertram Russell...


after he wrote Tractatus
he said:

""Since TRACTATUS has solved all the problems of philosophy, I'm going to work as a school teacher." (and went off to teach in a rural/poor elementary school.

regfarding Ethics: "If a man could write a book on Ethics which really was a book on Etics, this book would , with an explosion, destroy all other books in the world."


so, me thinks, that, we can never be absolutely safe in the world...as a fact cannot, never, contain any absolute value.

so, best just play in and with language...try to drop
k e r r-P L U N K! :habits of thought(thinking) that are connected with the way people live




Ed

Anonymous said...

Ludwig grew up in (an far beyond became) Vienna

lots of "important" folks frequented his parents home and Vienna-nese

places:

Freud, Schoenberg, Loos, Herzl, Hitler,

frequent visitors to his mome were:

Brahms, Mahler, Klimt, Schiele, Kokoshka, (a young) Pablo Casals, etc...

three of his 4 brothers commited suicide...

he studied under Bertram Russell...


after he wrote Tractatus
he said:

""Since TRACTATUS has solved all the problems of philosophy, I'm going to work as a school teacher." (and went off to teach in a rural/poor elementary school.

regfarding Ethics: "If a man could write a book on Ethics which really was a book on Etics, this book would , with an explosion, destroy all other books in the world."


so, me thinks, that, we can never be absolutely safe in the world...as a fact cannot, never, contain any absolute value.

so, best just play in and with language...try to drop
k e r r-P L U N K! :habits of thought(thinking) that are connected with the way people live

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Anonymous,

it's pretty hard to pin Wittgenstein down to anything. He's all over the place: logic (the Russell& Whitehead influence), theory of language, ethics, etc. I remember writing a paper trying to refute his claim that there was no such thing as a "private language", using poetry (a Milton sonnet of all things)as my proof.

All I'm prepared to say about this enigmatic thinker is that he & language are torturously self-reflexive things. It's pretty certain, too, that Wittgenstein's been misappropriated by poststructuralists.

Anonymous said...

He is hard to pin down.

I definitely see him aligning more with the earlier phenomenological thinkers than the post-structuralists though--that said, he is totally working in the Anglo-American tradition (but as a destroyer... sort of in the same way I posited Heidegger in the post above... in the continental tradition).

He never really jived with Bertrand Russell though--he was his student, sure, but he is a radical under-miner.

That quote where he says ethics and aesthetics are one is a wonderful example of W. being misinterpreted. There is a long tradition of people in the anglo-american philsophical tradition trying to interpret that as a sort of mimetic inter-relation between ethics and aesthetics... which is totally out of context of a text that drastically limits the scope of philosophy proper (a philosophy that was creating logical constructs around ethics and aesthetics). Of course, those trying to appropriate it for that purpose aren't heading off to the woods to teach grade school to poor children--they're philosophers working in the same constructs he was seeking to overthrow with his little explosive book.

That Blaser collection sounds wonderful. I have just been working my way through Jack Spicer. I look forward to reading the essay. Too bad I missed the UC Press sale on the book, though. Probably was really cheap.

~Aaron

Geofhuth said...

Thanks for the reading, Conrad. Two tiny corrections. The title of the blog is dbqp (not dbpq--though misspellings here are easy to understand). Also, in the first poem, the opening of the Berrigan line is presented as written by Berrigan ("I am 48 years..."), but by the time of the last poem a year has passed, so the speaker (ostensibly, and in some ways actually, me) is a year older, so the line has changed ("I am 49 years...").

Geof

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Geof,

sorry for the misspelling. And thanks for the clarifications.I regard the better poetry blogs out there a gold mine of poetic invention, and I like the challenge of both responding to and 'writing' them.

Anonymous said...

from know on
I'll chech my spelling
and attempt to be less abstract and more to the point:

just like Vicktenstein


... I promise to be absolutely ethicxal,
less list-absorbed, and less clubbie..
too.

-

Andrew said...

Conrad,

Still trying to wrap my head around all of this, similar to your post a couple of weeks ago.

I'm intrigued by the 'audience' of the blog. There is some odd combination of intensely personal at work with the blog, in its immediacy and lack-of-editing. But the blog is at the same time intensely public as well, in its openness and accessibility (at least physically---er, digitally).

Maybe it is because I am reading him right now, but the public/private combo is making me think of O'Hara, where the private utterance is made in a public space.

Reading a blog, then, requires something of a similar perspective, perhaps? By being dated and time-stamped the post is of-the-moment, each post in a sense was 'written on the ferry ride over' as O'Hara claimed of "Lana Turner Has Collapsed".

I'm going off tangentially from your ultimate point a bit, but wanted to pass along the rhumb-line I'm sailing away on...

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Andrew,

I like that 'written on the ferry ride over' idea: very powerful.Spicer, the object of my attention these days (both directly and through Blaser)speaks of 'dictation', the ghostly Face of the world that speaks (whispers, screams sometimes)to the poet .

As Blaser reads him he talks of the "doubling" effect of reading Spicer, of seeing the indeterminate become determinate, the invisible the visible: perhaps even a return to some sense of Transcendental to which Spicer wasn't entirely averse though he wrote in the fashionable 'serialist' form of his day.I believe a good deal of that man's personal anguish may have stemmed from the lack of that vital encounter with the Face of an accessible and open world.

I'd just like to apply that 'ferry over' to the blogosphere where a lot of us reside these days.

Pearl said...

just for the record, the Venn diagram exact link is http://www.blogtactic.com/2009/11/social-media-behavior-in-venn-diagram.html